Modern atheistic Satanism traces its history all the way back to The Satanic Bible written by Anton LaVey in 1969, which emphasized atheism, individuality, and the embrace of earthly power and pleasures. It has been growing and evolving ever since, which shouldn’t be surprising for a religion founded on individualism and the embrace of rationality over dogma.
In 2012, The Satanic Temple formed around a new vision of Satanic values and the role of Satanism in society. They established the Seven Tenets:
- One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
- The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
- One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
- The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
- Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
- People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
- Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word
One of the goals of The Satanic Temple is to fight against the forces that seek to impose theocracy on society, and to use our voice as an atheistic religion to promote diversity and break the grip of theistic doctrine on laws and public institutions.
In 2016, the official West Florida chapter of The Satanic Temple was created to bring Satanic values, community and activism to the panhandle region. We are a relatively new chapter, but have already launched a number of successful campaigns, and have a rapidly growing membership. Visit our Official Facebook Page to see our latest events and updates.